Tuesday 1 March 2016

Life Drawing - General Practice

I spent a few hours on Sunday drawing a portrait of a girl that I had started and worked on some time ago.

Glad I picked it up again to finish the sketch of course, but this earlier practice seemed to put me in a negative area when I picked up a graphite stick today.

The start-up session today consisted of the usual four 2-3 minute poses, and I chose to use a charcoal stick for all this work.  The top first and second warm-up sketches were quite poor, lacking in critical structure and so proportionately they are just wrong.

The lower third and fourth attempts began to improve, though...



A more abstract set of dynamic poses were next, the figure on the far left seemed to be well created, but I didn't seem to have my eye in!



Not happy with this at all.  I seemed to loose the construction of the drawing and this flat and boney attempt was a disaster, in my opinion, my next effort was no better and I soon ran out of time!

Conclusions;

I wasn't too happy with the results of the longer poses as they seemed to have lost all the good progress I made at the weekend.  I wondered what I'm doing wrong? - Maybe thinking too much about the finished form perhaps and not creating the underlying scaffolding perhaps? I don't know, but I think I took a step backwards in my lesson today...

No comments:

Post a Comment

(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!